Two more Verona baseball games and a boys and girls track meet was canceled last week as Gov. Tony Evers announced that public and private schools across the state would be closed indefinitely due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Verona senior Rayna Briggs was selected to play in the Wisconsin Basketball Coaches Association All-Star Game on Friday, June 19, at JustAgame Fieldhouse in Wisconsin Dells.
Spring sports at Verona Area High School are in a holding pattern with cancellations mounting after Gov. Tony Evers directed all public and private schools to close to safeguard against the spread of the coronavirus.
For Gonzaga University redshirt freshman Stephen Lund and redshirt sophomore Keaton Knueppel, the NCAA’s decision to cancel the remainder of the college baseball season due to the coronavirus outbreak was a stunning end.
Like a center fielder patrolling the outfield, Verona junior Leo Renlund caught an airborne puck from Notre Dame de la Baie goaltender Bo Buckley.
The way Verona senior guard Haakon Anderson looked at it, the 14th-seeded Wildcats had nothing to lose going into a Division 1 regional semifinal on the road against third-seeded Madison Memorial.
The way senior Hailey Dohnal recalled it, she and the Verona/Edgewood gymnastics team didn’t want to do any scoreboard watching at the Division 1 Middleton Sectional.
Verona wrestler Jay Hanson and coach Bob Wozniak sat in the highest row of seats at the Kohl Center on Friday, Feb. 28, watching competitors in the consolation bracket at the Division 1 individual state tournament.
- Boys basketball: Verona falls to East in regular-season finale
- Boys swimming: Best earns bronze in butterfly
- Wrestling: Hanson punches ticket to state tournament
- Boys hockey: Wildcats outmuscle Spartans for regional title
- Women's swimming: Nelson dominates for Badgers
- Girls basketball: Verona picks up conference wins
- Boys basketball: Wildcats, Spartans to clash again
- Gymnastics: Dohnal paces V/E at conference meet
- College baseball: Verona grad to play for Mallards
- Boys swimming: VA/MH sends 10 to state
- Wrestling: Hanson takes title, seven qualify for sectional
- Girls hockey: Lynx share conference title with Fury, Cougars
- Boys basketball: Wildcats' struggles continue on home court
- Girls basketball: Wildcats fall short against Lancers
- Ski and snowboard: Verona trio caps season at state
- Gymnastics: Verona/Edgewood topples Regents
- Boys hockey: Wildcats finish undefeated in Big Eight
- Boys hockey: Four-peat for Wildcats
- Boys swimming: VA/MH’s medley relay wins conference title
- Gymnastics: Wildcat/Crusaders take third in Middleton
- Girls basketball: Murphy paces Wildcats in losses
- Girls hockey: Lynx earn top sectional seed
- Boys basketball: Verona falls to Regents, Eagles
- Wrestling: Wozniak caps week with conference crown
- Prep sports: Quintet of Wildcats sign NLIs
- Gymnastics: Wildcat/Crusaders top Cougars
- Boys basketball: Buss takes over head coaching duties on interim basis
- Boys swimming: VA/MH improves times in Middleton
- Girls hockey: Lynx finish January unbeaten, fall to Fury
- Wrestling: Hanson, Grandau win Hustisford titles
- Girls basketball: Verona rolls past Madison directional schools
- Boys hockey: Wildcats trounce Lakers, Purple Knights
- Boys hockey: Wildcats remain undefeated in Big Eight play