Stoughton police evacuated people in houses for a one-block radius around 10 a.m. Friday, July 19, as workers repaired a gas leak near the intersection of West South Street and South Monroe Street.
The leak was caused when construction workers struck a gas main. Power in the area was “shut off for a bit, as well,” SPD chief Greg Leck wrote in an email to the Hub Friday. The leak had been repaired and the area given the “all clear” by 11 a.m.
Alliant Energy personnel were called to the scene around 9:40 a.m. and worked with Stoughton emergency crews to contain the leak, Alliant Energy spokesperson Annemarie Newman told the Hub. She said the gas line was repaired within an hour, and only one customer was without gas service during the incident, and crews worked to restore that.
Newman urged people to call the state’s “811” Digger’s Hotline for digging of any sort to help prevent accidents.
“Whether it’s digging in your yard or a professional contractor, it applies to anyone who’s going to be digging to put something in,” she said.
For information, visit diggershotline.com.